The course will present some of the main technological issues related to Digital Libraries, how they have developed, how they have influenced the evolution of traditional librarianship, how they are becoming more and more interconnected with the evolution of the Web.
On a practical side, the course will present how to build and personalize a (small) digital library using open source software.
- Teacher: Vittore Casarosa
1. A critical appreciation of information literacy and the associated literacies;
2. How emerging technologies impact on library user behaviour in the second decade of the 21st century;
3. Information Literacy in different library contexts; and
4. The importance of teaching information skills by looking at best practice.
The teaching will consist of a mixture of lectures, class activities and group discussions. In relating knowledge to practice, there will be a particular emphasis on group projects and peer learning.